The Student Council Rap’n Maths competition got underway last week. On Monday 3rd Yrs faced off against 2nd Yrs and 6th Yrs battled it out with 5th Yrs. On Friday the 1st Yrs held their competition. The TYs (who were on Work Experience last week) will challenge each other next Wednesday.
There was great creativity shown by all teams, and the judges (Ms McGlade, Mrs Buckley, Ms Walsh, Ms Doonan and the Senior Prefects – thank you all!) have found it tough to choose winners to date. The songs sampled everyone from The Rubber Bandits, M&M, Rhianna to MC Hammer, and each class really worked their Maths in there, with good old X and Y featuring strongly in many entries.
We will publish all the winners and their videos after the TYs have their showdown – meantime here are some pictures of the action last week:

Comments

16 Comments so far

1.    Annie Brown on October 25, 2011 6:10 pm

That sounds like great fun! Were doing a Dragon’s Den competition for all who are in our Gifted and Talented scheme, I am in G&T for music so I am in the performing arts group. I can’t wait for it to proparly start. School Councellors, our head master and even Lee Mead will be judging! The competition will consist of the groups being tod what they have to make and they have to make a pitch, product and present it well and finished at the end.

2.    Mags Amond on November 1, 2011 7:44 pm

Good for you Annie – let us know how you get on in your competition.

3.    steven on November 15, 2011 4:53 pm

That must make math really fun

4.    Brianna on November 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Sounds different but cool…Isn’t it Eminem instead of M&M?

5.    Ivy on November 15, 2011 5:47 pm

I think that sounds like a great idea, it seems like it would help a lot with learning math! Sounds super fun!!!

6.    Josie on November 15, 2011 6:16 pm

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun! We do talent shows towards the end of the year but its only optional and you have to pay to stay after school to watch. If you decide to partake in the talentshow then you can do pretty much what you want to. You can sing, dance, play and instrament, do a mini show, ect. Its really fun do it and just to watch the talent everyone offers. Some is good and some not-so-good but we all show support and applaud either way!

7.    elisabeth on November 15, 2011 6:17 pm

I would love to watch that! When I was in 5th grade we did a math rap just for fun. It was about mean, mode, median and range.

8.    Lauren on November 15, 2011 6:18 pm

What are Yrs? Does it mean years?

9.    Sierra on November 15, 2011 6:22 pm

we tried to make a song for our reading class back in sixth grade, but we never got to make a video of it. Everyone was wanting to and then we could make different songs about other things. :)

10.    bradley on November 15, 2011 7:08 pm

thats really cool its must be really hard though.

11.    Ian on November 15, 2011 7:31 pm

I always like math songs because they help you remember a lot better.

12.    Loreto Cavan on November 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Yea Lauren, it means years! I guess we are so used to it we use the abbreviation yrs! We have 1st to 6th Yrs in our school. Our 1st years are about the same as the 9th Grade in your system.

13.    Kaitlyn on November 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow, that sounds really cool. My drama club does that all the time. Like we’d take the beat of a song we know and sing to the same beat just with our lines. That must’ve been funny and pretty cool.

14.    Scott on November 15, 2011 7:46 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. Math is not my strongest subject, so that could be a way to really help. I thought M and M was spelled, EMINEM. I wonder if I could do it for my next math quiz!!!

15.    chase on November 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I used to do that in my old school.

16.    louise on December 1, 2011 12:24 pm

our teacher spelled it m&m because she likes chocolate better than rappin’

Name (required)